Thursday, May 13, 2010

Building a Chapter

I type today with dusty fingers, both literally and figuratively. We are preparing our home for sale to inhabit a new space that will positively shape our interactions and lifestyle. Today, the basement is being prepped for carpet. Luckily, I am only the sweeper and can escape from time to time. Figuratively, my fingers are dusty from use. A friend sent me a quote of an email I wrote before motherhood and tenure track, and I thought, "Wow, who wrote that?" Once, I had a voice instead of job. So here I begin to find it again.

What I'm discovering to be the hardest part of the dissertation is the time investment for the output. After reading and researching all day yesterday, what I had was a few short paragraphs with placeholders and new books ordered through the Michigan Electronic Library. This is hardly an impressive result to justify daycare, a messy house, and not teaching the spring semester: "In order to best understand the rich, complicated genealogy of critical pedagogy, I will be tracking its history using Raymond Williams concepts of emergent, dominant, and residual. As a social practice tied to classroom interactions, critical pedagogy wanes, shines, and ebbs in relation to cultural shifts -- in particular those related to labor. [Discuss of Williams terminology]."

No comments:

Post a Comment